Do you really support the arts?

what does it really mean when a group or organization state they support the arts?
The broader economic implications of donating your art
Like many I am often asked to donate art for a good cause, but I rarely, if ever, do it now. Oh, that doesn't mean I don't support the charity/organization but just not with my art. Too many times my work was either lost, came back damaged, no acknowledgement,no publicity, no record of who bought my work (so I could personally thank them) or how much it sold for.

"The problem is that they recognize the individual who writes the check" says Joel Shapiro, but not the artist who donates the work. So basically we are used as a lure ;) "Usually, if the buyer later resells the work, neither the artist nor the charity shares in any profit". 

I like the article by Omphaloskepsis Blog because it offers alternative approaches rather than just saying no. 

LINKS
Donation Advice for Artists and Charities
ArtBiz blog has some great advice on how to
educate those asking for donations, including a sample letter.

cheers and thanks for visiting my blog

Comments

Popular Posts