Yarn Bombing Book and Oh Deary Me

The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti
by Mandy Moore and Leanne Prain

Arsenal Pulp Press

The book is heeeeeeeeeeeeeeere and if you look at my side bar you will see a widget with a wee slide show that includes the jafagirls 'knit fairy" on Dayton Street in Yellow Springs, woo hoo. I can't even list all the fabu yarny contributers, but their work with knock your woolly socks off.
Check out what the New Yorker had to say

Life Drawing
The Oh Deary Me part
It's been about 3 years too long since I did any nude figure drawing and eek! am I out of practice. It was GREAT to actually have a model available in town and much thanks to a friend for setting it up.

25 minute pose

I struggled with one leg being too thin and the other being thicker and the proportions of the legs in relation to each other. I was aiming for simple lines that suggested the form and gentle modeling.With life drawing you can't draw what you think you see, what you perceive as a body, you have to really SEE and that takes practice, practice and more practice.
5 Skills of Observation

Comments

I left your post halfway to order a copy :) Saw your knit fairy and couldn't resist. I looked at the 5 skills and saw that "if you can write you can draw"; now I'm wondering that since writing is hardly taught anymore what will become of drawing. My grandmother had gorgeous writing, my mom less so, myself even less and my son's is indecipherable.
Unknown said…
This reminds me of a story.

When I was in college, my younger brother and sister and some neighborhood friends signed up for a one-day art class at the local college. Much to their surprise, it turned out to be a life drawing class, using a very nude male model.

When my girlfriend (now wife) heard about their adventure, she gasped and, all wide-eyed, asked "How long was it?" By "it" of course, she meant the class.

Being mentally 9 years old, however, I burst out laughing...
jafabrit said…
Dan, that's a funny story.

Bill, really you ordered one. You might get one before me, I haven't been sent my copy yet. Yes writing skills are pretty sad nowadays. Interesting list of skills and particularly the one about writing.
leanne pizio said…
Can't wait to get the book! Wow! It looks so cool.
I miss the daily discipline of life drawing. When we were in school it was an everyday practice and it really was an amazing teacher of the body.
jafabrit said…
I miss that too Leanne and I agree, it is a discipline that enhances one's observation and drawing skills.
Anonymous said…
oh, oh, I think me brain's gonna BURST! I've just explored your Slide-shows, and drooled ALL over your portfolio (& for the record, you are NOT in fact too dark, just dark enough!) I'm thrilled for the BOOK, And I keep popping all around your world to explore this, and that, and those... Simply put, you make my art-heart happy ;0} -- now draw-baby-draw!! pax-n-stitch, Victoria
jafabrit said…
:0 thanks Victoria , now I had better go and wipe off the drool lol!

Popular Posts