Street Art: The Power of Surprise


 People often wonder what the motive for creating street art is. I can't speak for others, but I enjoy creating little surprises that people might not notice at first or wonder about when they do notice it. Thing's that blend in with the place it's placed, or look like it's supposed to be where it is BUT!  A lot of people don't like street art, and some go into an apoplectic dither over a bit yarnbombing/knit graffiti, but they seem to accept the most obnoxious exploitation, occupation and cluttering of public space and ad creep by advertizers. 

Image from Wooster Collective article about the Street Advertizing Takeover.
  
Such is life!


Comments

Bee of Athena said…
I love this post and I want to re-post it! People should think about how many ads we are confronted with on a daily basis and how much nicer it would be if there were a few less ads and a few more knitted trees:)
dinahmow said…
Oh yes! I'm all for keeping the public places for the public.
Besides, it's n ice to turn a corner and find a "smile." Like that dead squirrel on the sofa.
I think it's the transient element that makes it work. Bloody billboards are up for years but street art changes
Fiona Leonard said…
Yay to all the people in the world who go forth and create things of beauty. Should be more of it!
jafabrit said…
oh, dinah, that poor little squirrel :( but yes so lovely placed on the couch put it into another context. That is the power of doing something so simple.

HELLO Fiona, so lovely for you to drop by and I agree with you. ps. I am liking that sugar free granola bar on your blog and with MAPLE syrup, YUM.
jafabrit said…
I meant "lovingly" placed on the couch.
daisyfae said…
thank you for making the surprises!

oh, and it's pretty wild to see my blogmate dinahmow here! small world indeed!
Anonymous said…
(Squirrel? Did I miss something?)

C: One Q: Where do the knitknot trees go when their work here is done? :-)

Just wondering...

T
jafabrit said…
oh my, it is a small world daisy :)

Here is the story about the squirrel T.http://jafabrit.blogspot.com/2007/11/sunday-mustings-matter-of-context.html

Usually when I take down yarnbombing I try to save some of it to wash and recycle for other projects.
I just have to come to Yellow Springs and see you all!

Popular Posts