NY Times Article: Post-Minimal to the Max

Roberta Smith wrote an article in the New York Times titled Post-Minimal to the Max and she stated: "what's missing is art that seems made by one person out of intense personal necessity, often by hand." I can't really address the main point of the article since I am now so removed from New York and seeing shows there, but I do wonder this. How does Takashi Murakami fit in for example. The art world embraced his work and nobody seemed to care who did the actual work (Murakami has a factory of workers executing his ideas), so didn't they, the museums, collectors, dealers, art critics pave the way in this regard? AND Takashi Murakami isn't alone, Hirst and Koons have factories of workers also.Is it really surprising?
For reactions to article check out cjn212


Intense Personal Necessity
I have that (as many of you do), bit like needing to breathe,eat,and speak, yes!

Meanwhile my hand made art is coming along.
I was planning on filling in the face, but somehow simple lines felt better for the face and hand. Even though I have the pattern laid out I have no clue until I actually start doing it what stitches I'm going to use, or how to do it, which makes it all the more exciting.

Here is an interesting bbc interview on Woman's Hour BBC about contemprorary embroidery.
I adore Louise Gardiner's owl

Comments

Art Trip said…
After declaring painting as dead for so long, I wonder if this will be like waiting for jazz to make a comeback?
jafabrit said…
LOL Art, I wonder!
I've been following comments on Smith's article all across the internet and it seems to have created some of the most deserved buzz I've seen in awhile. She's spot on! I see it as the same "too big to fail" mentality we've seen elsewhere. Too many big egos and too much riding on a few anointed ones. I agree that museums, collectors, dealers and critics are what drives this. Go Roberta! and Jafa :-) for sharing the links.
David Howard said…
Yes, it's about time writers and critics got back in the real world, where the real people live.

I was watching, 'The Seven ages of Rock' on TV last night - which I enjoy - but realised how ridiculous rock historians and journalists are. They go to ridiculous lengths to prove a point about a band or so-called movement and forget the obvious - that people like music.

It's the same with painting (art) - eventually someone realises that people like art and anyone can do it - although to varying degrees of quality, success etc.

Money changes everything.
jafabrit said…
Thanks Bill, David, the article was very interesting and I was glad to see such a response.
tera said…
"Good" art is so subjective...I often wonder why one gets critical acclaim and not another. Big debate for another day.
In the meantime, I really like your dual face. :)
Art said…
That's such a good article. Re: Murakami, at least he can and sometimes does paint, and has a knowledge of his craft. It's harder to prove with some of the other ones...
julochka said…
i love that you say, "i have no clue until i actually start doing it..." because i feel that way all the time and thought everyone else had it all figured out. :-)

Popular Posts