Classical Figure Drawing: practice practice practice


" Figure drawing is arguably the most difficult subject an artist commonly encounters, and entire classes are dedicated to the subject." I agree and I always approach life drawing with trepidation. So why do it, right? Because I need/want to continue practicing my drawing and observation skills. It really helps to have a good model and this week ours was FANTASTIC, what I would call a real professional. You could tell she had experience and understood the importance of good (challenging) poses. Some people think you just plonk a nude in the room and that's it, but having a bad model (lazy, inexperienced) can be really frustrating.
My approach to drawing a live model is anatomical and I use modeling to get a sense of the muscles and the bony landmarks
to get a sense of proportion. You may notice that I don't bother with the face of the models. That is intentional since my main focus is getting the structure of the human form rather than a portrait of a model per se.



Figure Drawing LAB Guide to Human Anatomy: Skeletal...Muscular

Art Glossary for Artists


Comments

tera said…
It's great!
I was just having a conversation with someone about this very thing a day or two ago. I loved figure drawing when I was in college but one quarter we had a horrible model and it was painful to go to class. She hated the way some of the guys drew her and often stormed out of the room in a huff.
Oh yah, and she wouldn't pose nude. Sheesh.
I like your shading and I kind of like that she has no face.
Nice.
Michelle said…
Well done!
Agreed.. difficult!! You seem to be doing just fine tho. I'm jealous.
Beautiful drawing.
The good life models at college always had over the top characters and always treated their profession with a respect someone walking off the street would not have. It takes a lot of muscle and mind control to succeed.
jafabrit said…
thanks everyone :) sometimes the drawings are not too good, sometimes good, other times horrid, but have to keep working on it.
Anonymous said…
I like it/her a lot, Corrine. Don't put yourself down - you are a great artist!

Some things I noticed:

true plumb line
well balanced lines vs form and mass
great resolve - you did just enough


-Casey
jafabrit said…
aaaaaaah, thanks Casey, but you know I think it is that drive to do better that keeps many of us plugging away at it.
Maxnix said…
I am a figure model and I love my work. I also love your approach. I model in vastly different venues from community colleges to art schools to established masters. I love it when an artist appreciates how much work I put into what I am doing to give them an interesting pose. I get really discouraged when I am in a long pose that I am putting a lot of effort into and the whole class are drawing my face, yet I am naked for six hours of a pose...dumb. BTW, I love your drawing. That's what I am talking about.
jafabrit said…
Wow maxnix, as a model I appreciate you dropping by and giving your opinion, and thanks for the compliment. How silly to spend all that time posing nude and they are drawing your face. dumb is right.

Popular Posts