Red Shoes & Chakaia Booker

photograph by c.bayrak

Horace Mann Statue in the middle of a field in Glen Helen, Yellow Springs.
Not sure when his feet were painted red, but they have been like that for a long time.
He was the first President of Antioch College and is famous for his quote that is etched on the statue's plinth and was the schools motto.
"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."

Rod Serling was a student at Antioch and was so inspired by the words that he used them in a Twilight Zone Episode called "The Changing of the Guard".

It is sad to see this college closed, now a ghost campus, and left to rot as evidenced by poor maintenance.


Focus on Women and Recylcing/Repurposing
Chakaia Bookersource of image: National Museum of Women

"began working with rubber tires in the early 1990’s and presently continues to work in this medium. The various tread patterns, colors, and widths which the tires possess create a palette for Booker similar to the palette of painter." wikipedia
I met Chakaia briefly at her Mason Gross exhibit and when she walked into the room WOW!
I can't tell you which was more intriguing, looking at her wall reliefs made of rubber tyres (yes duckie's, English spelling ) or her. Wiki states she likes to " create a wearable sculpture in response to the materials which she uses in her current work". She said the same thing, that each day she spends time creating new things to wear and they are never the same.

FREE ART FRIDAY
Painted Found Bark by Jafabrit

Comments

Janets Planet said…
Chakaia Booker --- takes a certain boldness that many of us artists do not possess. Could be learning what that is and how to garner it is what we need to learn from her.

BTW, tried the Marmite. Interesting. I think it will be good when one needs a real salt fix-- like after a day of chocolate. :-)
jafabrit said…
I am impressed Jan that after trying marmite you didn't throw up your hands with a NEVER AGAIN. Upi can also use it to make a beef broth base for soups or gravy, or just to drink.
I agree about Chakaia Booker and learning from her. Her courage to be true to herself is really something I admire.
cherie... said…
thanks for this post!
i love working with tires and innertubes - and at one stage had covered all my furniture with them...which made sense as it strengthend all my old broken down stuff. x
jafabrit said…
thanks for dropping by cherie. I never thought a tire could look so beautiful until I saw Chakaia's work. How cool you used it for furniture.
Anonymous said…
Love this post - and I'm also admiring your painted found bark.

There's a little shop in East London called Fabrications - I've posted about it in the past. The woman who runs it, Barley Massey, makes the most amazing re-purposed furniture from old rubber tyres. Inspiring stuff. xx
Unknown said…
Ah, Rod Serling -- I could talk about him all day. He was one of my early, childhood crushes. (Yes, I was precocious!)

I've seen some amazing things done with tires -- I'm astounded that any of them end up in landfills. What a waste. I'd rather throw tofu into a landfill, which seems highly appropriate!
jafabrit said…
you were precocious w.j. lol! I have a friend who was mentored by him when he was at Antioch. There is an episode with Shatner was inspired and patterned after a local cafe here (no longer the same).

hum, me think you not like Tofu, it is going to cry now.
I just love the idea of "...daily activities which she considers to be art forms in their own right." What strength of conviction.
Anonymous said…
It's amazing what you can do with recycled goods, how amazingly creative!
Sculptor Dude said…
Could you give me a little more info on your "Tongue Out" piece ... I would like to include it on my relatively new sculpture blog before long and give you a plug on it.
jafabrit said…
I agree Bill about the daily activities, sort of reminds one to appreciate and enjoy the moments and things around us best we can.

Thanks for dropping by Bec. The more I explore out there in the world the more I am amazed at what can be done with recycled goods.
Unknown said…
That would be the TZ episode about the diner with the fortune-telling machine?

One of my faves!
jafabrit said…
Yes, that's it w.j.

Popular Posts