Craftivism isn't just selling crafts, is it?

Craftivism in the News
Merchants stake future on "craftivism" in Asheville, NC

Focus on local Artists helps Boutique Grow


I suppose the act of pushing for appreciation or sales of handmade crafts goes against mass consumerism but does it really fit with activism? Crafters have been selling for years at craft fairs, in local shops/galleries, online.
The buying handmade movement has been around for a while.
If craft+activism=craftivism then where is the activism?

Isn't using traditional crafts in a non traditional way more fitting to the definition?
Such as these artists/crafters, a lonely craftivist, Radical Cross Stitch, or Orley Cogan whose embroidery is anything but traditional in it's content.
For further exploration I recommend this blog
art+craft = craftivism

Yarnbombing
I love this photo Zakzorah took of my doll in Graffiti Alley Ann Arbor Michigan

I didn't get any good closeups so I really appreciate Zakzorah sending me the photo.
I also like that people are getting a kick out it.

Wonder where the NEXT Jafa camo doll will turn up next?



Comments

I think the there is a great deal of difference between craft and craftism. It goes beyond the handmade idea and forces us to reexamine our preconceptions and definitions of art vs craft boundaries.
jafabrit said…
I found the news articles confusing Bill,because I kept trying to find out if the crafts were controversial or something, but it's just like they have used the word craftivism to advertize selling crafts.

There are many wonderful venues all around for crafts, including in my village, but it isn't often you see radical, subversive, crafts that address political and social issues. Unfortunately that isn't what they are talking about in the articles.
cat said…
be entertained
betsy said…
Hey there!

As a late reader to this post, which you linked in a comment on my blog, I just wanted to say thank you for all your insights on craftivism and using craft's power. :)

Plus, I had never heard of Orly Cogan before now, so exciting!

x
betsy

Popular Posts