Art Then and Now

Ken Johnson's Rebel Without The Claws?
"Despite its rousing first impact, the exhibition (Sheperd Fairey) leaves you with a sense of dismay at the devolution of a certain avant-garde dream into a kind of visual easy listening for the college-educated masses."

The Gesture Rules Exhibit at The Art Space
Our (as in the Yellow Springs Arts Council) Art Space was honored to showcase Deborah Dillon-Bloch and Andrzej Bloch selected works from their private collection of Polish Graphic Posters and Intaglio Prints from post World War II circa 1950-1995. The works have been described as bold, potent, mesmerizing, and stunning in their use of the gesture. The artists displayed offer an insight into a unique period in Poland’s history.

After seeing the Dillon's collection I understand what the critic Ken Johnson, meant when he stated about Fairey's exhibit, "What is missing from his work is a deeper, more personal and therefore less predictably formulaic dimension. "


The images in Gesture Rules exhibit was stunning on several levels in regards to draftsmanship, quality, and content.

Photo taken at the exhibit by c.bayrak
Poster by Stasy Eidrigevicius Furmanny Zawlek

From what I learned, this poster was a reference to the era of Martial Law in Poland. The Five pointed red star is the symbol for communism and Russia.

Empty still he sat and pined.
And then a notion cheered his mind:
The miller's daughter I shall wed.
"Girl, I ask your hand," he said.

Poem by Kurt Baumann and illustration by Stasy Eidrigevicius from the book The Hungry One: a poem

If you look closely this is a photograph of someone holding a mask done by Stasy and I think really illustrates the poem beautifully.

If you missed this exhibit you might have a chance to see it again next week. Pop back here for an update.
UPDATE: Second Showing Saturday, March 28 from 11am to 3pm

As for Fairey's work, I like it, but I would have to agree with the NYT critic, it doesn't have the personal wallop. "Maybe if some such psychological dimension were more consciously integrated, Mr. Fairey’s work would be more like art than like canny illustration of what everyone already knows".

Of course that is one critics opinion. If anyone saw Fairey's exhibit please do post and share your opinion s to why you liked the work (putting aside one's personal opinion of Fairey) or didn't, or felt the critic was on target.

Comments

Lana Gramlich said…
I'm not really sure why, it's just not for me.
Thanks for the hint about the mask, though. I would never have noticed!
Leanne Pizio said…
Love both of these images so much. I wish I could see them in person.

The mask with the girl and the poem are still and creepy.....and I love it.
jafabrit said…
Lana, I understand. I think in the context of the times the work is historically interesting if not visually appealing to some. The same could be said about quite a bit contemporary art, yes?

Painter, I was intrigued by the mask and poem and seeing your work I can see why you like them, well love them.
Undaunted said…
I like these ones in your post too. The one with the mask is really clever.

I'm not sure about the Sheperd Fairey ones. I can't make up my mind. I think I would like them more if you told me they were your own work. I'm not sure if that's because I can relate easier with artists I can converse with, or whether it's because I expect so much more from artists who have "made it" and who are famous. For them to be famous, I expect to be able to look at their work and say "wow, I could never do that". As it is, I feel more that way about other bloggers work, including your own.
Sheree Rensel said…
Jaf,
It just has to be true. I know you are my long, lost twin. It has to be true! We think so alike! Love this post.

Also, I just laughed yesterday because I went to a blog that had a post about how this blogger was outraged because the gallery didn't have labels posted for a show featuring disabled people.

Believe me, I had my boxing gloves on. I was ready for the fight. I am a champion of such causes. Then when I saw she was bitching because the exhibition had a gallery sheet instead of labels, I just stood there looking at the screen. Say what? AND THE POINT IS?????

I didn't get the feeling of angst at all. Even though I would be willing to fight for the cause, her post left me clueless. I saw your name on one of the comments. Don't get me wrong. I am all for defending the weak, but this was a weird perception. Where is the MEAT? LOL
jafabrit said…
"blogger was outraged because the gallery didn't have labels posted for a show featuring disabled people. "

I remember it but can't remember where. I have to say I was a bit nonplussed at the level of outrage. I guess my problem is that one can't assume it was the galleries decision and take umbrage without more facts. Some exhibitors and galleries prefer labels and others numbers. who is to say that the exhibitors didn't request the number system? I thought about it more and felt perhaps it was condescending to assume they exhibitors had no say or were incapable of confronting it if they didn't like it.
proudsoldiermom said…
I've got the next exhibit marked on the calender. Which I could have gotten down there this week-end.

Popular Posts