Stuck in the bloody toilets for 5 hours


Due to unforeseen events with the village crew a 2 hour job hanging the show at the ChamberPot Gallery ended up taking 5 hours. It wasn't anyone's fault, but I was NOT very HAPPY. Because of liability issues Nancy and I are not allowed to hang the show ourselves in the public restroom (which requires a very tall ladder). So the crew didn't come, then came and went, then came and went for lunch, then came again and went off for a bit, and then came back. So we got bored waiting and decided to put a little knit graffiti in each bathroom.


PROTEST ART
I always enjoy walking past this garden because there is always a new display that tells a story.

sticker protest art by jafabrit

"The best political weapon is the weapon of terror"
Heinrich Himmler

" If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can only be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic, and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of it's powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the state."
Joseph Goebbels

"Naturally the common people don't want war. But after all, it is the leaders of a country who determine policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or not voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and for exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country"
 Hermann Goering, Hitler’s Reich Marshall, at the Nuremberg
Trials after World War II.

Amnesty International 2007 Report
Politics of Fear creating a dangerously Divided World.


Comments

Undaunted said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Undaunted said…
Ooh, where to start...

Well, I'm sure the toilet is not a place that I would want to spend a good portion of the day, but I'm glad you managed to relieve the boredom/stress with some knit graffiti. Couldn't help thinking of a song I heard when I was a kid about 3 old ladies being stuck in a lavatory!

I don't dislike the garden as such - I appreciate it's deeper messages - but there's something about it that's unappealing to me personally. I think it's the fact that it is so busy, there is so much going on. I felt the same way about Basquiat's art, but couldn't put my finger on it. Not taking anything away from the creativity behind it, it's just... well, I'm a simple girl!

I like your own piece of protest art. My Mum and I were talking about war last night, and the fact that the ones who make that decision to go to war are the ones who are most protected. If they feel so strongly about it, why don't they lead the troops?
jafabrit said…
I understand what you mean about the garden, it is a crazy mishmash or stuff lol! should see the house itself and the rest of the garden. I am sure his neighbours love him ;)



As for Basquiat, I understand too. He is not everyone's cup of tea.
Undaunted said…
What a fantastic idea though - to turn our gardens into an artistic statement!
ckw said…
so sorry about the "job" i hate when things go that way sometimes-but what productive girlies you are -knitting-thanks for the bit on agenda the other day- i'm off for the summer and have beenenjoying painting what i want- instead of all those kitties- you are great- thanks
ckw
Kim said…
ha ha
I love your graffiti art !!!
your sticker is terrific...red is such an emotive colour and the hand with the eye is a powerful image...
you certainly have some fascinating art in your neighbourhood....looks like there's always something out of the ordinary to look at :)
dinahmow said…
Too bad the world didn't take some of these Gestapo statements to heart after Yalta. Sadly, the only ones who are now spouting this are the current leaders. But at least we will always have artists brave enough to take a stand.
Anonymous said…
Oh that stinks - about waiting in the loo all day long.

I'd like to pass by that garden too.
Damn - don't we seem minor players in a big cinema! Of all the posts I respond to - you have something to say. About politics and arts concerning the future. Love your posts and continue the rant. Millions per day should be building hospitals, clean water, providing meds, not blowing things up. Stay out of the loo. Best Billl
Da Old Man said…
Very nice blog. Your pieces are quite thought provoking.
Oh crap-now that I've come back for a longer look I see you mentioned Basquaiat and even linked to the Times Square Show. It's holy crap - I was there - I exhibited - I had a photo, commentary and caption in Art Forum. Probably my 15 minutes. But, I pulled back from that brink that took Basquaint as well as two friends. Take that raw and reinvent - thats my motto now.
jafabrit said…
Bill, how fantastic that you were included in Art Forum, a primo mag. But reading about that era/art market/scene put me right off. It doesn't surprise me so many couldn't pull back from the brink, it was so seductive. Sorry you lost friends, but glad you got away.

Thanks for dropping by crotchety old man (love your blog title :) and sense of humour.

Hope you have a GREAT summer ckw, and look forward to seeing what comes out of it.

Thanks Kim, Yellow Springs is a rather interesting little place.
Hahaha! Knit graffiti in the toilets is funny!
Margot Potter said…
Those quotes are perfectly fitting and incredibly chilling.

Oh and yes, I've always said it's the folks in charge who should be sent into battle with each other.

Wow.

xoxo
Margot

Popular Posts