ChamberPot Gallery

The Chamberpot Gallery is an art gallery that Nancy and I started with the backing of the Yellow Springs Arts Council. It is located in the Chamber of Commerce building (train station) restrooms. It is what I call a "loo with a view, a place where one can answer nature's call AND enjoy a curated art exhibit". When we first opened it the press coverage just blew us away, it was in the papers all over the world, from NYT to Kuwait and China, as well as a somewhat fun sarcastic commentary from CNN Entertainment Showbiz Tonight. We have a little scrapbook page of the Grand Opening, which was wild. To read the AP story, here is the Washington Post article by James Hannah. Below is the painting they talk about in the article and it is a horrid painting really, but it seems to have tickled people. It now hangs in someone's bathroom in Yellow Springs :)

The suggested theme this year is " Beasts in the Bathroom" and ties in with the local art theatre groups summer festival "monster mash" and guess what play they are putting on? "bunnicula- the vampire bunny" ha! ha! so I just had to use the image of my vampire bunny somehow.

Undaunted asked about the media I used for the bunny. It is an oil painting on mfd board, which I had cut out with a scroll saw. I then coated the whole painting with epoxy resin. For the missing poster I just taped a photo of it onto paper, but for the Chamberpot Gallery painting I will recreate the poster and paint the bunny onto the canvas.

Comments

Kris Cahill said…
This looks like great fun, Corrinne. If I am ever passing through there, I will be sure to check it out.

Loved your Plunger Award, the slide show, and just the energy of the whole thing. Great art too! I am not surprised you got such good press, this is unique and makes a great story. And...you've got a built in audience!
Fun site! And thanks for your support over at BC!
jafabrit said…
It was a blast Kris, and the plunger was a hoot, but then that is how I feel if I have to plunge a loo, YAK!

thanks for dropping by olga, and you are most welcome.
David Howard said…
This is a great story, Corrinne. I was just thinking that the 'failed painter' and I just should get on a plane one day and make a whirl wind visit and check out the exploits of the jafagirl and her many friends.
My wife was in a toilet in Florida at a Macdonalds restaurant that was filled with mirrors and gaudy elaborate fittings. She took a few photos to show me and it was over the top. Your toilet affair seems really quite pleasant and entertaining - no need to take in reading material to help things pass - whoops, time pass.
L.M.Noonan said…
Better yet, David and I should start our own gallery in the Beerwah dunnies. When will we colonials stop believing that other countries toilets are more exciting than our own.
PS ours has a billboard just outside owned by Australia Zoo ( Steve Irwin)...isn't that exciting enough for you David?
I love it! Way to go...
Undaunted said…
Wow. Thank you for answering all my questions Jafabrit. The whole thing is amazing! I think it's a good idea to have the paintings hung so high - it turns my stomach to think of people putting their grubby hands on your beautiful art - eurgh!

What a funny coincidence that the local art theatre group is putting on Bunnicular! Now I understand the comment about using it in the Chamberpot gallery! I can't believe that it is painted onto a flat surface - it looks totally 3D.

Wow. Amazing.

ps Thanks for the link too!
Lynda Lehmann said…
Jafabrit, I just put you on my blogroll! :)

Popular Posts