Notes on the Business of Art and Age

While I have taken a break from doing the business of art, I am still interested in the subject.
I read an interesting post about emerging artists on Edward Winkleman's blog in which he stated, "One dealer suggested the cut-off was 31 years old (meaning anyone older than that was sure to disappoint this type of collector)."
Which leaves me out of the picture being an older woman YIKES!
On the other hand there is hope, as this interesting article points out: Marketing for Mature Artists
For those of you who are into marketing during the tough art market times here is link : Ten Points to Ponder for your Art Marketing Plans. I am, of course, focused on number 10 this year per my resolution.

I put this in my comments, but it seems appropriate here:
It seems there are as many views on age, should's and should nots, and how to do the business of art as there are types of art. What it tells me is that we cannot possibly please or cater to all the different views/opnions no matter what age, gender, or type of work we do. In the end all we can do is sift through all the advice/info and find what will work, and what feels right, but , as you so rightly point out Linda, the bottom line is the work itself :)

"To create one's world in any of the arts takes courage."
Georgia O'Keefe

Comments

That is complete BS!
Linda Blondheim said…
Jafabrit,
I love the sketch today in your post. Interesting articles, but I still feel that age is less relevent than good solid painting.
Love,
Linda
www.lindablondheimartnotes.blogspot.com
Janets Planet said…
I bookmarked to read later -- when I have glasses on. Interesting that the "mature" article used such small fonts. :-)
I hope that age is a plus since I will be hitting the big five-O next Friday. I think older people have more substance to put into their work. I know several people who didn't start painting until their 40's or 50's that are very good.
Sherry
Janets Planet said…
BTW, I liked Rufus' sketch portrait.
jafabrit said…
I think there are as many views on age and how to do the business of art as there are types of art :) Which essentially means to me we do what we feel it right and what works. And as you so rightly point out Linda the bottom line is the work itself :)

Still I find it interesting how others seems to decide what we should and shouldn't do, don't you?
Casey Klahn said…
I liked the article that quoted an older artist, "I had to start at the top".
My plan exactly.
ysartist said…
I could say too that too casey, but then I could say Iv'e been going downhill ever since LOL! Okay, that was a joke!

I would say that was a good attitude casey :)
Margot Potter said…
What? What is it with these people. One isn't even interesting until 40...and even then you're only beginning to unfold.

Sheesh.

xoxo
Margot
andrea said…
Great link and very topical for me. I still feel like an 'emerging artist' because it took me until I was 40 to finally pull my finger out and get on with it! And I have followed your advice so far this year re. the business side of art and have already sold two small paintings. Seems sales have entirely their own agenda.
Susie Q said…
NO one truly gets interesting until they hit 40...so, by God, I must be getting down right scintillating! Or not. Maybe by the time I hit 70?

Love the sketch but especially the one of Rufus. He IS a brute, just like my Kipper. A wild eyed killer to be sure.

LOVE the television. I have always felt that our watch us but then, I am often quite delusional. But scintillating all the same.

Love,
Sue
Kris Cahill said…
It is harder to get caught in this age trap if one simply refuses to. Yet it is true that many art collectors and dealers prefer younger artists. However, buyers of my work love the work and don't care about my age.

Thank you for the links here, I read them all and especially enjoyed the last.
imwithsully said…
I agree. Now that I am 40, I know that article is bunk. Thanks for sharing this.
Cynthia said…
Love the sketch - especially rufus - he's my fave!

Who is Edward Winkleman? I'll have to come back later today after work to investigate.

Although, my first reaction is Bah, maybe that was true 20, 30, 40 years ago, but the times are a changing.

Popular Posts