Sketchbook: sketches and painting notes

"she thought" is a photo of a painting I did a few years ago and is about the horrors of the Pol Pot regime. I know she doesn't look Cambodian, but I didn't want to copy the photograph that inspired this painting (looking into the eyes of this woman in her pre execution photo was just too sad). I left out her arms on purpose, an allusion to helplessness to save her baby. The reference  photograph is from the Tuol Sleng Museum of Genocide
The gargoyle looking doggie drawing is of my ceramic studio dog " phineas fallis".

As you can see I changed my template because on my old template my sidebar disappeared (seems to work on this template) and was at the end of the blog. I didn't do it, honest? Any ideas what happened?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wonderful work Corrine! I agree, her expression is powerful and that is a sad photo. Outstanding work as always.
Guess what Corrine....TAG YOUR IT!
The instructions are on my blog....
*HUGS*
Very touching.
Cynthia said…
NO clue what happened - it's always such a pain to change templates though... Love the sketchbook images!
Mark Gisleson said…
My guess would be an oversized image that exceeded the alotted space.

I love whenever you post images from your notebooks. They're really extraordinary. And no, the woman doesn't look Cambodian but the look of emptiness and loss comes through even at an angle in the picture.

Not sure I'm going to make it to YS this year, but when I do I'd really like to see more of your work.
Anonymous said…
she is lovely; enjoyed the statement your art makes throughout your blog
Lynette said…
I love the spinning cube with your art on it, that is awesome and I think I'll see if I can make one too! Have a great vacation!
J.B. your work captured the sad and hopeless look in those eyes of the lady and I really hope that monster pol pot is paying right now in the hereafter, wow!
Shez said…
Hi stranger!!Just back to see what you've been up to. I see you're away. Hope you're having fun. About the side bar. That often happens, like Mark mentioned when your picture is too big on a new post, sometimes even a word in your write up, will mess it up. You have to go back to your last post and change the problem, and it will then fix itself when you come back on. At least thats what worked for me.
I think I like this template better than the last. Also, luv your banner!!
Very touching work!!
BBL
Ta
Shez said…
Hi stranger!!Just back to see what you've been up to. I see you're away. Hope you're having fun. About the side bar. That often happens, like Mark mentioned when your picture is too big on a new post, sometimes even a word in your write up, will mess it up. You have to go back to your last post and change the problem, and it will then fix itself when you come back on. At least thats what worked for me.
I think I like this template better than the last. Also, luv your banner!!
Very touching work!!
BBL
Ta

Popular Posts