Graffiti in Taiwan and Reverse Painting

My son took this photo of some Graffiti at Chung Yuan University in Jhongli City in Taiwan. Notice the barbed wire? It's the girls dorms ;) My son spent a month in Taiwan and said the people were very friendly, fantastic food (there was a mcdonalds for those wishing to taste exotic fare from other countries lol ) and many spoke enough English that he could travel about himself and get directions if he got lost.




Noonan at failed painter asked about the arch shape and if it was my trademark shape. Not exactly, although I do love it, but it all started when I found these plexiglass pieces at a downtown Dayton store called Mendelsons, a liquidation outlet. It's actually a shelf and they were selling boxes and boxes of them for 50Cents each. SO I bought boxes and boxes and still haven't used them all lol! I have learned since never to buy mass quantities of art stuff (except paint) thinking I will use them., because they just sit and languish in cupboards and basements. The vase with the flowers is a an old salt shaker made of bone.


Get this widget | Share | Track details

Comments

dinahmow said…
So...discount clearance, huh? Canny lass!
Love this painting;again, I'm reminded of Kahlo.Wonder why!
Doll update - still Bernina-less :(
jafabrit said…
sheesh kahlo, what gave it away! the flowers and scratch lines perhaps lol. Although the rest of her is made up and collaged eye from a women's mag LOL!
jafabrit said…
ps. I am waiting for the doll :) we want doll!
David Howard said…
To me, it's the feeling of the work, and the pose of the woman that makes it Kahlo. The Arch shape frame has references to the past. Normal frames don't refer to much all, unless they are either portrait, landscape or overly ornate. The arch frame has classical pedigree through and through. The arch frame strongly links your work to a pre-modern time, especially when used around a portrait. This makes your contemporary work a bit post-modern. It is interesting that the slightest inflexion or contextual change impacts an art work.
jafabrit said…
AT the time I had't thought of the frame shape. I bought the lucite panels 7 years ago and painted mammogram 6 years ago. The actual wood frame was an afterthought, but it worked very well for the lucite panel shape.

It's interesting how a chance buy at a liquidation store led me to a new way of portraying images.

Anyway, my friend (who was going through radiation for breast cancer) love the painting.
I, too, love the painting. The yellow seems to signify hope, was that intentional? Love hearing the story behind the arch also. Great buy.
jafabrit said…
hi nancy, yes the yellow was intentional, my friend loved yellow and it went along with hope. Also a white daisy symbolizes a common feeling of affection. I am glad to say my friend survived her bout with breast cancer.
Janets Planet said…
I dont know why, but I am really drawn by the twiggy hair.
Cynthia said…
I like the arch shaped canvases - and how fortunate to have snagged them for 50c apiece!

I really like the frame too - I thought at first it was an architectural niche in your home.

When I lived in Maine, we had this great salvage store called Mardens - you just never knew what you would find.
Steppen Wolf said…
Corrine,
Nice use of the plexiglass. For some reason the arch seems kind of pivotal to your work... Maybe because I have seen so few of yours...
Unknown said…
That is class jb, as my kids would say. Love visiting here for a bit of somethin different
That graffiti is way cool.
inspired said…
yes a canny lass indeed a Geordie lass at that ;o]
dinahmow said…
Not THE doll, but one of my earlier ones.On the blog now.
Anonymous said…
That painting is gorgeous.
The yellow is beautiful.
I admit to feeling Frida Kahlo too and I am always mesmerized by references to her work...
x
L.M.Noonan said…
I agree with David about 'the context'. I love the possibilities that the shelf adds to a work like this. An artwork that is mutable.
p said…
this is beautiful!
thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting...I'm already loving checking out your art!
Staci Rose said…
The entire piece is tragic and beautiful and especially moving. The contrast between colors is fabulous and, like others have said here, extremely meaningful!

PS...not bad on the sale, too! ;)

Popular Posts