WIP:Portrait in Oil


I nearly scrapped this painting when I started it. I had put three coats of special wood primer gesso on the panel and started to paint on it in oil . It was absorbed instantly into the primer. What I should have done was put another layer of regular gesso or acrylic on the panel. Well what's done is done, so I decided to build up on it with glazes. It started as a grisaille , then I started adding the colour layer by layer using liquin as my oil thinner.
It is a technique you can't rush. You try and put another glaze over it before the previous coat dries it just lifts the paint right off and your painting is ruined.

Oh looky here, there's that darned spuggy again LOL!

my nose saved the day

sheesh it takes 20 mins to get to the airport
but nooooooooo, with all the stupid construction the gps got all flustered. I really felt like I was in the twilight zone. It is 5am, dark, no lights, no open businesses and I haven't a clue where I am. The Gps kept telling me to take a left, take a right and I went around and around three times on the same loop trying to get onto the stupid motorway. Never did get on the motorway. I followed a smell. Yep my nose became a gps. There is this one town that has a factory that puts out this overwhelming french fry smell. I got a whiff of it and I kept a sniffing and it led me right to a town I am familiar with. 2 hours later I made it home.




Comments

Anonymous said…
I think it's wonderful!!!! You are a great artist!! I'm glad that your painting on wood and telling me the process that you go through. Etc. It is a HUGE HELP!
Anonymous said…
I really like this one! It's looking great, despite all the dramas. :-)
Anonymous said…
yes, i am really into it also! fantastic skin tones.
Heather said…
It's great, fantastic skin tones..which liquin formula are you useing?
jafabrit said…
thanks. Using Original Liquin hmbt.
Cynthia said…
This is going to be another good one. I'm interested to see if the graffiti shows up again. I really liked that.

I used to use liquin too when I was oil painting. I liked the way it dries faster than stand oil or other mediums.

hehe follow the french fry smell. We have a Purina Dog Food Plant on the way to the aeroport and I would much prefer FF.
Philip said…
Just awesome!
Anonymous said…
You are so brilliant. I absolutely love it. Your subject matter is gorgeous though...

I always use my nose as GPS, but I use it in a much more figurative sense. I believe unwaveringly in my uncanny sense of direction...
I have been hopelessly lost on many occasions, but pride has often heard me proclaim that it was all part of "smelling the roses"...
Anonymous said…
You are so brilliant. I absolutely love it. Your subject matter is gorgeous though...

I always use my nose as GPS, but I use it in a much more figurative sense. I believe unwaveringly in my uncanny sense of direction...
I have been hopelessly lost on many occasions, but pride has often heard me proclaim that it was all part of "smelling the roses"...
Heather said…
I have been useing Walnut Alklyd, I think I'll try the Liquin instead next time...the Walnut is a little filmy as it drys...thanks!
Volvo Car said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
Wow! I love that!

I love your blog. I hope you don't mind I bookmark your website.

"Parenting":http://excellence-parenting.blogspot.com
Volvo Car said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
Wow! I love that!

I love your blog. I hope you don't mind I bookmark your website.

"Parenting":http://excellence-parenting.blogspot.com
jafabrit said…
I don't mind anon :) thanks, glad you like my blog and work.

hmbt, Liquin is best bought in smaller bottles as it tends to solidify over time. It dries nice and clear with a bit of a shine. I sometimes use it just to add a gentle sheen over the whole painting rather than damar varnish.

thanks philip, minx :)
Lynette said…
What absolute incredible detail and depth, I would give anything to be able to paint a portrait as exquisite as this J.B., WOW!!
eek I would be in panic mode if I was lost the way you were on the highway, glad it turned out OK!

Popular Posts