Self Portraits

I told Sharron I would share my self portraits, so here they are.


Licorice Girl: I once went to the docs because I was getting numb around the mouth. He couldn't find anything wrong, but for some odd reason as I left his office I mentioned I had been eating lots of licorice (strong british or australian brands that put hairs on yer chest). He asked "how much is lots?" When I told him he couldn't stop laughing. I hadn't eaten a dangerous level but it had had side effects obviously. He told the nurse not to file a bill and told me to stop eating so much licorice. I could still hear him laughing as I left the building. I LOVE licorice.




Catscratch:
When I was a kid I hated getting my photo taken and always twisted my face for the camera, but I had one photo that I hadn't. I wanted to do a portrait for practice and decided to use that photo and dang it if it didn't turn out being twisted LOL! How Freudian is that.


Humerous: I did this about three years ago. It is oil on wood and after I painted it for some reason I wanted to sand it down. Well it ended up looking almost like a skeleton, so I decided to put it in the "bones and stones" show I was doing with my friend Jan.

Comments

Ed Maskevich said…
Your Humorous one for bones and stones is beyond good. Not to mention your art card son.
Philip said…
I like them all but Humerous has something really very special about it. Remarkable in fact.
I'm hooked on licorice too, especially the aussie kind, but I can't find it around here anymore. :-(
I like the self portraits. I don't think I've done one since college.
Anonymous said…
I have to admit that Licorice is nasty to me. Then again, I have some weird taste in foods. What alot of people like Example:Popcorn I hate! *Shrugs* Ohhh well! Such is life.....
Anyhoo.....wanted to say all of the self-portraits are wonderful girl! GREAT JOB!
jafabrit said…
thanks ed, philip. Yes the aussie licorice is my fave too still waters, uh huh yummy! I can take or leave popcorn angela :)

ugh it is taking forever to get used to my new computer and keyboard.
Anonymous said…
Fabulous!

I've heard that too much licorice will open the sluice gates at both ends, well one at least...

Love the pretty bones xx
Black Licorice?? I haven't had that in years.
Margot Potter said…
You make fabulous art. Damn. You're good.

Thanks for the licorice warnings! I do love black licorice.
Janets Planet said…
Licorie, eh. Not a fan.

Love the portraits.
PennyBlue said…
Cool beans! I like em all!
Anonymous said…
Humerous is my favourite a bit marlene dumas from the 80's. licorice mmmmm. love it!
Shez said…
True to your word....thank you for sharing!!! and what a trio, I think the Catscratch one is my fav, but they all have their own merit. Wish I had your artistic freedom....So how about doing a new one for spring!!
What a hoot about the frozen mouth.....interesting info on licorice....I like it, but it's been over a year since I had some hmmmm now you got me going.
Spoon of life said…
Your art is really fantastic...the last one is just so intense...

I did laugh with the liquorice story hehehe I love it as well:)

M.
gilbz said…
Wow! amazing brushstroke ;)
jafabrit said…
thanks for dropping by everyone.
Steppen Wolf said…
I like self portraits in that they tell a story and I liked your stories. Thanks for posting.
Lynette said…
LICORICE...OMG I love that stuff and could eat it till my teeth turn black!! I love the pink and white candy 'Good and Plenties' even after I found out that the red dye (carmine) that colors the pink ones is made of crushed bugs, and I'm not kidding about that aaargh! :o (google it LOL!)I have a box of them by my puter right now. The Aussie licorice sounds yummy, would love to try it!
Anonymous said…
Aussie licorice? Never tried it. I love Dutch doublezout licorice - now that will put hairs on your chest!

Popular Posts