The Naked Dickie Bird (or Spuggy)



I had this crow sitting around the studio and I stripped off its feathers and wings (don't know why). I decided to do a sketch of this poor baldy nekkid bird and added a human eye and called it the naked spuggy- tweet bloody tweet, (don't know why). Here is the sketch, then I painted the eye on the actual stripped down bird, then manipulated a photo of the sketch on the computer. I am thinking I might call my show in October “ the naked dickie bird” or "the naked spuggy: an installation" (bet ya didn't know my family nickname is spuggy). Oh my, I can just see what google search will bring up with that title. hee! hee! My blog entry on the ditty;” tellie tale tit, yer tongue’ll get bit, aaaaaaaal the little dickie birds with come an ave a bit” brought visitors looking for “tit hanging” on the google search engine. Not what you think LOL! they were looking for the bird variety, but I couldn’t stop laughing when I saw it. I put in naked dickie bird into the google search engine and the first entry is about a Yorkshire cricketer called Dickie Bird (didn’t know anybody had that name). The second is about an Australian artist, James Guppy, who said: "The painting is about my response to being in exactly the situation I am in now which is when you are up there, your work is being seen like this, you feel naked.” This turned out to be so appropriate as it is precisely the sentiment I feel about putting my work out there.
By the way "Don't say a dickie bird" is cockney rhyming slang for don't say a word (dickie bird=word).

Comments

Dr.John said…
You have a very creative mind. Your art grows into your language and you can speak funny English.
Janets Planet said…
I like the dickie bird. I think the weirdest google search that brought a visitor was bondage gesso. I dont want to know!
jafabrit said…
ROFLOL, bondage gesso!!!!! Jan that is too funny.
thanks dr.john, sometimes it is so creative I can't keep up with myself.
Susie Q said…
I have the biggest smile on my face....such a takent and yoiu always make me grin. Love your way with words and wit. And your amazing art.

Hugs,
Sue
Lynette said…
JB I love your imagination and creative mind!! I've never heard of a spuggy bird but he looks pretty awesome with those feet and that big eye! A bondage gesso sounds verry interesting LOL! :D
Anonymous said…
Great work! You have fun with imagination in your work! I LOVE IT! GOOOO GIRL! :)
Oh my... and to think I use to love the look of crows. Humm, has this now changed and will I ever look at a crow again without thinking of him stripped naked? and a human eye? how funny.

Great job with that creative mind of your's.
Steppen Wolf said…
The abstract crow reminds me strongly of Ted Hughes 'Crow'. I loved it and was transported back in time when I read those poems ten years ago for the first time and felt electrified by the imagery... If you have not read the poems, I would highly rcommend the same. One of my favorites...
Ted Hughes was Sylvia Plath's husband...
Poor little birdie! He's probably cold!! =:(

He does look quite interesting though. Great work=:)
Anonymous said…
Wha...?
Dr.John said…
Since I already commented I just stopped by to say Hi.
Philip said…
Although there may be no intended link between this and your African Violets they both strike my as having some connection. Gothic, Death, Dracula - that sort of thing!

I am intrigued to hear about your plans for your next exhibition in October. I understand that you are not into theming your work so I guess the galley must have a very forward thinking policy. How do you plan an exhibition? Is it a set of your most recent paintings? Is there any theme at all (colours, frames, ideas) or is a case of anything and everything goes?
jafabrit said…
Hiay Phillip, the theme is me sort of. really the theme is my sketchbook and inspiration. The work in the exhibit will link to the sketchbook in a variety of ways. I may integrate one or two pieces I have already done, but it will be mostly new work.
I am blessed with being with two galleries whose owners LOVE what I do, even though it is odd and hard to sell. The first show I did for this gallery the owner had no idea what sort of work I would prepare for it. Fortunately I didn't disappoint :) Hopefully I won't again.
Mark Daniels said…
Paul McCartney used that phrase "not a dickie bird" at the beginning of his song, "She's Given Up Talking":

She's given up talking
Don't say a word
Even in the classroom
Not a dickie bird
Unlike other children
She's seen and never heard
She's given up talking
Don't say a word...

Mark
SheriB said…
So fun!

Popular Posts