Mistakes in Art

This is from my sketchbook ( a mixture of collage, acrylic, and drawing.) Initially this is what "gold" was supposed to look like. I loved the face, the background, but I didn't like below the neckline at all, seemed unresolved. Anyway I painted it in oil on wood and left it to dry with the thought I could go back and resolve it. Hum, never try to glaze over damp paint. I could have screamed (actually I used some very loud colourful metaphors that I shan't repeat here), as soon as I brushed the glaze over the face it lifted the paint. After calming down and staring at the blank patchy black background it revealed to me what I wanted to say with this piece. Behind the white face were a thousand other faces of those who suffered a terrible fate for no other reason than they served under the enemy, the boers.
I don't know who said this, "'there are no mistakes, only opportunities" but I think it's good to remember. Even if a piece can't be saved there are lessons to learn from it, and sometimes if we are lucky we can see that the mistake is actually a hidden treasure.

Comments

Lynette said…
Holey Moley J.B. 'Gold' is so very powerfully awesome that I can't believe it was really a mistake but something meant to happen in that piece!
Anonymous said…
I like good mistakes :-)
SuzySnoo said…
Lucky Jafabrit, that her mistakes are actually so good.
Anonymous said…
I like to call them "Happy Accidents"!

The funny thing is those mistakes are often only noticable to the artist!
Janets Planet said…
Accidents? Naw, they are just called layers :-) And further proof that titles play an important part in art. Define it before someone else does. Geez, I guess I did learn something from that workshop.
Louisiana said…
i only see beauty...mistakes are just another way of learning..and i don't see mistakes, ever, here.

Popular Posts