The Son: Part Five

Initially I thought I would do something along the lines of what Frida Kahlo did with the veins reaching from my heart to his. Naw!!!!!!!! That wasn't working, then bingo I thought of pfc.molly, the marines bulldog mascot. When my son graduated in Parris Island the bulldog came out on the parade ground in full uniform. I thought if I have a protective loving hand on the dog it might protect my son while wearing the uniform of the USMC. Since it is about my child and not the man, the marine, I did a painting based on a photo of him when he was little. I know he looks Harry Potterish, but that is the price you pay when you have a brit mum :)
Sorry about the quality of the photo being a bit dark, but I think you get the gist of it. I painted the reflection of the Iraqi child in one frame of his glasses, a portent of what might be.
Stay tuned for The Conclusion

Comments

Janets Planet said…
Has a sense of innocence. I think I missed whether or not this is the whole painting or if it is part of one with the mother -- is there more to her than just the hand?
jafabrit said…
yes, when you see them all put together you will see the mother reaching out to pet the dog. Each painting in on a square panel.
Cynthia said…
I'm not sure I would have seen Harry Potter if you hadn't mentioned it...but the again, maybe I would have. My daughter and her best friend are Harry Potter Crazy, in fact are playing some kind of crazy fantasy make believe game about it right now. I listen in every so often, I wish I could do that again...nothing is impossible.

I can't wait to see all the panels together! Are you just now painting these? Or are these already finished?
B.R.L said…
I haven't had time to read anyones blog so tonight I have read back and have found this most interesting.
Louisiana said…
he does look like Harry Potter...i thought of it immediately, see i look at the pics before i read your words....you are very talented missy..thought i tell you again. i love art and i'm so being spoiled with a few of you giving me so much to look at. thank you. hugs.
Anonymous said…
Speaking of Harry Potter - you know they're burning his books in New Mexico in case they lead children towards witchcraft?

Mental isn't it?
Anonymous said…
Well, actually, that was five years ago.
Dr.John said…
He does look like Harry Potter only with magic glasses. I have really enjoyed this series.
The Harry Potter reference brings in the theme of that series -- good vs. evil, and Harry's goodness remains even as he loses his childlike innocence.

I can look at this and know that this boy will grow up to face horror and yet retain his morality, (and loyalty, with the dog) and that is due to his mother's hand. A mother's hand, for good or for ill, remains with a child forever. I too, can't wait to see them all together.

Man, you are good.
Janets Planet said…
Staying tuned is beginning to hurt. :-)
jafabrit said…
thanks lisa, dr.john. jan is seems like you will have to wait. I have tried several times to post the picture but blogger is having probs. :(
Neoma said…
He does look a bit like Harry, but then our family LOVES harry.......I wondered if you were a Brit. It was the kippers, marmite and tea that gave you away....haha

Popular Posts