Yellow Springs Arts Council Gallery: Spin Art Bird Embroidery

 
I posted a wee peek of this hand embroidery a few months ago and it's finally finished. It is now hanging in the Yellow Springs Arts Council Member show.
My goal was to see if I could do a stitched version of one of my spin paintings,"spinlicious".
I can't even tell you how many different colours I used for the embroidery version. I really should have written it down.  The glass bird in the center was a present from the Chaos Queen and Professor of Sewing at the University of the Universe, my good pal Karen, who felt it was meant to be used for this piece. I think she was right.  It's hard to see but I added wire to the back edge of the butterfly wings so I could manipulate the wings and give it a 3D effect instead of it just laying flat.

ABOUT SPIN ART 
Mental Floss has a wee article about it with a few great video examples. 

and you can learn the in's and outs 
from the mad spinner himself Abraham on his wonderfully inspiring website.

cheers and thanks for visiting my blog

Comments

Popular Posts