Life Drawing and Imagining the model is a Statue

Simple Line Drawing by jafabrit
30 minute study 
Not sure why but when I try to imagine the model is a statue it helps me figure out  (excuse the pun) the parts by blocks, especially hands and feet (my weakness amongst many)My goal is to try and convey the figure with simple lines and not fall into my comfort zone of modeling. It can take me an hour to 2 hours before I can come up with a decent drawing. I am not one of those artists that can just dive in and ta da. Usually we start life drawing doing gesture drawing, and then after about 20-30 mins go into several 30 min studies. Just for fun I used photoshop to create an actual statue effect by merging a pattern of a marble tile with my drawing.

If you want to learn how to draw, check out the above links.  You may have noticed that I don't do any paintings, photography or embroidery of nudes. I go to life drawing because it keeps me on my toes. Here is an excellent explanation of why life drawing is important for visual artists. 

Cheers




Comments

Popular Posts