George Condo is BIG but

why?


 Jerry Saltz shares why on Ask an Art Critic 


Not sure what I think of his work. Wish I could see it in the real and get a better sense of it's impact aesthetically and technically. I felt this when I saw Jackson Pollock's painting for the first time in a museum. The size and grandeur and beauty can't possibly be shared in an image in a book or magazine. It did give me an different understanding and appreciation of why his work had such an impact.  Talking about Jackson Pollock, check this out  Bill Proposed to Force Sale of University of Iowa's Pollock Painting


back in my little corner of the world



 Nancy (and her dear husband Steven) & I took mr.plato to the Ohio Craft Museum in Columbus.  More about here if you're interested.


Comments

Anonymous said…
I think it's very interesting/weird some of the artists that become very popular. Why this artist????? Most of this work is stupid. Why is it worth hundreds of thousand dollars to anyone? Bah!
Nancy,
feeling cranky after looking at this.
Anonymous said…
great lead-in....'George Condo is BIG but why?'

I'm in agreement with Jerry-too glib and easy. Overated. A mash-up of Francis Bacon, Phillip Guston and the 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' group.

But as you pointed out; it's really impossible to get an accurate 'read' on a painting without seeing it in person.
I think it's really wonderful that it's balanced with the Benglis...I'm still a big fan.
:-)
Treena

Popular Posts