Thine eyes

What ghost doth pass the narrow confines of thine eyes?

Satin Stitch, Couching for the hair

Image from a collage in my sketchbook of my D.C trip.

The eyes are from a painting called "Ginevra de' Benci" by Leonardo da Vinci that's on display in the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C. I couldn't stop staring at it, the paint work and the flesh tones so delicate and beautiful.
I was drooling for an hour at it.

I was going to do long and short stitch but decided to break up the space and use satin stitch.

Examples of Embroidered Eyes at Needle & Thread
Video Tutorial Library of Stitches



Comments

louciao said…
Simply gorgeous! So much expression in those eyes. Beautiful work.
Debrina said…
The eyes have it, in this one! The hair is quite delightful too! In fact, I was reminded of the Fairy Queene - Elizabeth the First nonetheless. Same hooded eyes, pale complexion and orange hair...

Popular Posts