Chuck Close & comfort zones

Stone Portrait by jafabrit


Chuck Close is one of my favourite artists for several reasons, the first being really liking his work, but he's also a "passionate promoter of artist rights and the arts generally". I also like his attitude (which I think must have served him well after he became paralyzed from the neck down): "I chose to do things I had no facility with. The choice not to do something is in a funny way more positive than the choice to do something. If you impose a limit to not do something you've done before, it will push you to where you've never gone before."
It's so easy to fall into a comfort zone.
AND
a fine example of how an artist can use photographs to create unique work(some argue against using photographs in
art)


Talking about Comfort Zones
I was certainly out of my comfort zone on several levels performing in the v-monologues
(how cool is this, we raised $1430 for city of joy and Artemis)

photograph by Susan Gartner

I never thought I could actually stand in front of an audience, let alone deliver a monologue on such a sensitive issue. So many women are made to feel bad about their bodies in so many ways, sometimes it is subtle, sometimes not. Sometimes it is through advertizing products/services that promotes a perverted view of what is or isn't normal. Sometimes it is through acts of brutality, abuse, or misguided notions of what is or isn't normal.

7 Ways To Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone And Live A More Exciting Life.
I can't say if I live an exciting life, let alone a "more" exciting one, BUT it is a one richer for having gone out of my comfort zone.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Brava, Corinne! (And every other woman who stands up to be counted.)
And you manage to do it with a healthy dollop of humour. ;-)
Unknown said…
Bravo, JB! Braving an audience requires true grit. You're beautiful, bold and fun -- who could ask for more!
Art said…
Oh, well done! Glad to hear it went well.

I like Chuck Close very much as well, the tapestries and the persona. He seems like a guy you could sit down and chat with. That said, I was always too intimidated to approach him when I saw him in Chelsea.
Thanks for the Chuck Close video. I am always inspired by him.
Congrats on a good show and thanks also for reminding us to step outside of our comfort zones.
San said…
Corrine, I would have loved to be there and hear you deliver your vagina monologue.

Sometimes if we don't get out of that comfort zone, life does it for us. Enjoyed your words on Chuck Close.
Yes, comfort zones are dangerous and yet they are some of my favorite places to be:) I just had two opportunities to accept "out of my comfort zone" engagements and I am happy to report to you that I am doing both:) Great post my Friend!

Popular Posts