Art of Embroidery Stitches


I got this from my gran years ago (Supplement to Weldon's Ladies Journal No.688) and I'm guessing it's from the 30's/40's because it has 4d on it LOL! I still have some of the transfers too, including this one from another set of transfers she gave me.

NEW PIECE

I am using an old transfer that I will add my own elements to as the piece goes along. So far I have used satin stitch, long and short stitches for the birds, and whip stitch on tea stained muslin. For the larger leaves I think I might use Cretan Stitch, which is beautiful.

Here is a full page of stitch diagrams from STITCH with the Embroiderers' Guild
Some of these I haven't done for years, so I may need to practice.

AND
for some interesting stitchery, Historically Inaccurate, is really cool stuff

I also really like the work of Andrea DezsoI

Check out some of her other "my mother claimed" series of embroidery, they are hilarious.

As for Tilleke Schwarz, she is the Jean-Michel Basquiat of the Embroidery World, her work is just marvelous.


Comments

Jonatha Wright said…
You are so mutitalented! I should have made the connection that a yarn artist would be an excellent embroiderer! Love this new post. Wish I had time today to cruse the whole body of work. Hope you are feeling chipper!
Want to go to the last StoryBox Storytell on May 13th? Olga Loya. She tells in English and Spanish.

Jonatha
Undaunted said…
I used to like embroidery when I was younger. I'm not sure if I have the patience now. Your piece looks lovely so far! And I think we both know someone who will really love it!

I looked at Andrea Dezso's pieces. Some of her Mum's sayings were bizarre! I thought some of them were really sad though.

I see what you mean about Tilleke Schwarz!

Have you seen this lady's stuff?
jafabrit said…
hiay Jonatha, thanks :) Would love to go to the last StoryBox Storytell, I will give you a call to confrim.

I think undaunted some of the old proverbs and saying make one gasp, and the one about poo, yep heard that one from an aunt. I was told once not to blow dandelion seeds otherwise I might get one in my tummy and it will grow. I haunted me for years lol!
jafabrit said…
oooh undaunted, I do like the integration of paint and stitchery on the link you sent me to. Very NICE!
Sheree Rensel said…
Jaf, I just checked out your Tilleke Schwarz link. She is the bomb! Wowy, Zowy!

Have you ever seen Kate Kretz HAIR EMBROIDERIES?

http://www.katekretz.com/hair.html

Also, her PSYCHOLOGICAL CLOTHES:

http://www.katekretz.com/psych.html

All her work blows my mind!!
nolaa gallery said…
oh, I can't wait to see your new creations!
Lady P said…
that is some hilarious stuff!! your posts are always new and inspiring -
I love the stitches sheet so much that I've copied and saved it! Reminded me of those Ladybird "Learn How To Sew" books my mom bought me when I was little. Thank you for posting it! x
Lynette said…
Your bird stitchery looks really great! I haven't tried embroidery in so many years and you're making me want to give it another try! :) I'll probably just get the threads all tangled up again.
Teresa said…
Can't wait to see what you do with this piece.

Thanks for the link to Andrea Dezso...did you see the pieces that where animated? Very cool.
Lana Gramlich said…
I love your birds & thanks for sharing Andrea Dezso--ROFLMAO!
Very cool! I love antique stitcheries!
Anonymous said…
Great work thnx for sharing...

Popular Posts