Art in a Ball and Tattoo Baby Genesis


Undaunted asked what sort of art we (moi, Nancy, Talitha and Jennifer) put in our art vending machine. I don't have any recent pics but here are a few samples of earlier pieces. The challenge is coming up with pieces that are original, not labor intensive and don't require buying supplies to make. The Art Vending machine is not a money maker, but it is fun and people seem to really enjoy it, especially the kids.

Sue asked where I came up with the idea to do the tattoo doll and it actually all started with an old fan I found on the side of a road a few years ago. I used one of my favourite methods of painting, which is to use black as my base and then a coat of white paint (which I sometimes sand down a bit).


I had the fan lying around the studio and I was staring at the fan as I was having a hot flash. I decided to decorate it and call it "menopause". I had so much fun doing it and wanted to decorate something else so I grabbed my garage sale cabbage patch doll. Unlike the current doll I used a black marker which bled a bit when I shellacked it, so this time I used acrylic paint for the markings. Interesting to see them side by side and the connection because they are both to do with womanhood and a change of life.

Check out this 5,200 years old tattoo at Smithsonian Magazine
Prison Tats-who,what & where
Body Art: Marks of Identity at the American Museum of Natural History

Comments

sarahelizabeth said…
is your art vending machine just an old vending machine you refurbished? i really want to do that with my gallery. i saw some in chicago and think they are awesome!! i have no idea where i'll find one!
Anonymous said…
I wish your art vending machine was nearby - I think I'd be tempted to put money in it all the time!

Last weekend, I went to a tattoo parlor to get my nose piercing adjusted and to get some new jewelry. I had such a good time watching everyone who worked there and the people in the shop getting tattooed and those waiting to get their work done. I spent a lot of time looking through their portfolios. The people that work there are totally tattooed and pierced. They really love their art - I asked my husband what would happen if they decided that they wanted to get a corporate job and we pretty much decided that they are solid in their career choice. They didn't bat an eye at my middle aged self in there either.
Undaunted said…
Don't ask me why, but although I love henna drawings on skin (I think they're beautiful) I don't really like proper tattoos. In saying that, I can't deny the amazing skill involved in producing them. Anyway, that's just me.

Thank you for showing us your goodies inside the vending machine! They look great! I wondered the same as Sarah about where you get that sort of thing from.
~dani~ said…
Holy chit, I think your work is brilliant and so is JAFA...OMG I love that!!! So glad, I found you today..wheeee!
A Flickr and Etsy friend of mine, Sammo leaves Guerrilla art (free art) all over the world that he sends to people to leave and they photog it.
Take a look...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sammo371/sets/672099/

Come back to NJ so we can hang!! :)
Anonymous said…
Ohh those are sooo kewl!!!!!!! I love your style! Sorry that I have not had that much time to stop by like I usually do. Anyway, wonderful works. :)
Take Care,
Angela
Janets Planet said…
Wonderful little treasures in the art machine.
Susie Q said…
We are hoping to get out to YS this weekend...Grace and I have plans on some art balling...: )
Each piece is a treasure.
I want to see some more tree cozies as well...I do so love a good cozy!

Love,
Sue
julie king said…
i love the fan but the tattoo baby is just too, too cool! you are so creative!!!
Lynda Lehmann said…
What a GREAT idea to have come up with an Art Vending Machine! Kudos to you for your creativeness! I love your little creations, especially the fan and doll!

Yes, womanhood stetches the limits of our endurance, doesn't it? lol...
I would love to find an art-o-mat around. Love the concept.

Popular Posts