Some Creative Tips to Help You or a Loved One Deal with Cancer

 I don't feel depressed or particularly fearful now, but  using my art is helping me cope with the daily ritual of having to go 5 days a week for radiation.  Since I am forced to do this ritualI figured I could add some fun daily rituals, including art related one's, so here is my list. 

Ritual One: Get a treat after each radiation therapy (a wee candle, a little charm, a sinfully delish cupcake, earrings, thrift shop find,lunch with a pal, a new scarf, an afternoon movie, an art related item). 
Ritual Two: Remove a link off my countdown paper chain and write what I'm grateful for for that day and put in gratitude jar.
Ritual Three: Take a photograph of something that make me happy and put in journal.
Ritual Four: Pick up a stone each time I leave the hospital parking lot and paint it.
Studio Dog, Phineas Fallis, is eyeing my stone chocolate
 RAD DAY 2 stone is painted to look like a piece of chocolate because early in diagnosis I got a MEGA craving for chocolate. I can't tell you how glad I am that craving is OVER!
While my paperchain recedes, my bowl of stones increases and at the end I will have a bowl of fun art. 

Not everyone can do art, but there are simple things you can do. Such as getting a free butterfly template and colouring one each day and adding it to a wall. Collecting stones and writing a comforting word, OR how you feel (very sweary or angry) and at the end of treatment have a smash party. Collect old cracked china cups or plates, line them up, get together with your family or friends and take turns trying to smash them. 
Decorate an "End of Treatment Trinket Box", and  each day during treatment add something, or ask a loved one/friends to add something. It could be a feather, a child's drawing, a thrift store trinket, a photograph, a piece of your fave fabric, a scrap of paper with how you feel that day, a fave cd of music, a smelly candle, a coupon for ice cream or spa day. Sky's the limit on what you or your loved one's/friends choose to put in the trinket box and at the end of treatment you open and enjoy.

LINKS

What Art Therapy Involves from Cancer Research UK


20 Art Therapy Activities You Can Try At Home To Destress

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Pablo Picasso Art therapy is a broad term used to refer to the practice of creating as a way to heal wounds of the mind or spirit.

Comments

Beanie Mouse said…
What a brilliant bunch of ideas!!!!! Good for you, Jafabrit!!!

Popular Posts