Repost: Head Study of a Skinhead


Becoming what is termed a "traditional" skinhead (a hard mod) at the beginning (late 60's) was a social/ fashion statement borne out of a rejection of consumerism that catered to the middle and upper classes. I was in London when it started and into Reggae music BIG time, especially underground Reggae/Ska, cropped hair, trevira suits, riding boots, and braces (suspenders) and what they represented (this is before skinheads became xenophobic and racist)
It is sad it became so ugly so quickly and evolved into something opposite of the black and white "working class politic"

White supremacists target middle America: USA Today
Hatewatch
Hate Group Map


However, there are quite a few anti-racist skinhead groups around the world.
Skinheads against Racial Prejudice, who resent the movement being hijacked by hate groups
The Anti-Racist Action Network
Sharp Toronto

Reaction's to the 2009 Documentary called Thank You Skinhead Girl
Sharon Kay Woodward's Website and Trailer Vids



VIDEO

Dirty Reggae-The birth of Skinhead
Stay True



Awards

Thanks Undaunted for your comments and the award

"With her unique versatility, Jafabrit's art spans all genres and ages. She would be just as at home knitting woolly jumpers for trees in an old people's home as she would spray painting graffiti with the youths from the local rehabilitation centre! Her art is always unique, and she can make something amazing out of just about anything."

On Versatility in Art
I am glad my versatility is seen as a positive rather than a negative. So often there is this pressure to stick with one style or genre because if you don't you are accused of being all over the place or inconsistent. There is some merit to it if one is creating work (a brand so to speak) FOR an art market where customers need to recognize your style and dealers need to promote it. Since I am not creating FOR an art market (which is not to say I don't want to sell what I do create) I am free to do work that reflects the multi-faceted nature of life.
As inconsistent as it may seem, when one takes the time to view the whole picture it becomes obvious each piece is like a part of a quilt that tells a story, mine.

Comments

Colette Amelia said…
Bravo! unique, thought provoking, interesting and fun!

What more could anybody ask for?
Undaunted said…
That's another thing I love about your blog - it's always educational. I had no idea about the reggae/skinhead connection - I suppose that was before my time! :P I've just always thought of skinheads as racist NF kind of people. Thank you for enlightening me. My hubby says the same thing has happened to communism - people view it as a bad thing without knowing what true communism really stands for. I just have to take his word for it 'cos... well, you know me and politics!

Yes, definitely, versatility is a good thing! It shows you are multi talented :) I'm always impressed by people who can master a subject in many different styles, like a dancer who can do ballet and hip hop, and not just one or the other. That's how I think of you :)
Abraham Lincoln said…
Geeze. I like this post. Skin heads. Supermarkets. How about Depressions?

I posted one on my brookville blog.

Today (October 25th) in my birthday. I am 74 years old.
Anok said…
Brilliant Jafa! Ah, it makes my heart glad to hear others who understand what the skin movement was all about!

Great sketch, too :)
OK Corinne....I am trying my hand...er...well...make that boobs at being artistic!

Come check it out & hopefully participate too!!!
Lynette said…
I never realized the history of the skinheads either. I don't like any kind of extremist or racists groups and it's too sad they went in that direction. Your head study is ohh so fantastic Corinne and very well done!!
Connie said…
Wow! Wow!! I had absolutely no idea how the skinhead movement started. Thank you so much for educating me...especially since Hansel and I are such huge reggae fans--I had no idea.

Second, it is your versatality that I adore too Corrine! I love your drawing--the nose, in my opinion fits perfectly with his face.

Peace & Love.
Betsy said…
Hi there... I found your blog in Blog catalog, and have really enjoyed it. I like the way you deepen your art with background context. I've decided that blogs from artists with interesting minds are my favorite kind. I'm going to start a link category of art blogs on my blog, and yours will be the first.

Also, I'm currently struggling with the portrait-from-real-life or portrait-from-photo issue myself. I want/need to sell my art, but of course the trick is to find a way to do that compromising too far. The endless struggle.

Anyway, check out my blog if you feel like it:

http://bendingtreearts.com/blog

-- Betsy
alan stewart said…
Ello all,
my name is alan i have am still a trojan skinhead since 1969,Dublin Ireland,, yes i am 58 now but still cropped and docs/braces, i have only one comment,,,,F#$$ politics

skinhead 1969
JafaBrit's Art said…
alan, thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts, nice to hear from an original skin :) and I know what you mean about the politics.
TorontoSHARP said…
Liked what i read, Cheers!
dryadart said…
my skinhead has long since grown out but not the attitude. Still no love of consumer culture here...

Popular Posts