Seeing Green one way or another


I was looking out the window and relishing all these glorious shades of green and thinking of floss and french knots and creating a little mossy woodland on my embroidery sampler.
I remember Northumberland's mossy woodlands with ferns and bogs, and little rabbits with fluffy tails, and bluebells as far as the eye could see. No wonder people believed in faerie's and elves when they walked in these woods.

French Knots, black bead, Satin Stitch and I just made the tail up so I haven't a clue if it is a recognizable stitch or not . I had SO much fun doing this little bunny, and as with all the images on the sampler so far, my OWN design (no transfers).

Member at Large
er' get that out of your mind. I wasn't talking about the external plumbing of the male species. No! I'm talking about my status as a member of the National Embroiderers' Guild of America.

Cool Stuff
Got to check out the work of Sandrine Pelletier , just love how the various media is integrated, but wow those lace/latex\resin skeletons are amazing.

Reality Check
It seems my last post resonated and I really appreciated the comments and support, thank you
Here is an article in response to a question; I wanna be a famous artist and make lots of money
Good advice to those who are pursuing the business of art, and a reality check for those who followed all the "right" steps. I'm not saying people shouldn't try, but there comes a point if you're beating your head against the wall it's time to change your approach.
I have found there's a way to make money in the arts
Write a book on how to make money as as artist
Appeal to their ego and and invite them to exhibit for a month in a vanity gallery (for a fee)
or sign up for a bogus art fair OR pay to be in a vanity publication
Scam em" (gosh why do people keep falling for this?)
Start an art school

Okay that was rather jaded, but hey this is the reality


Comments

Ralph Ivy said…
How to make money as an artist?

Here are a few things that got me through a life as an artist:

1. Sorted mail for post office.
2. Delivered cars for car dealer.
3. Copy boy for newsroom.
4. Washed dishes for steak house.
5. Packaged chicken for TV dinners.
6. Emptied office waste baskets.
7. Mopped school halls.

Takes flexibility. But the financial life of an artist can be sustained. I am now retired.
jafabrit said…
That's the way to do it Ralph :) Flexibility and choosing ways to support one's art.
Lady P said…
I like Ralph's tenacity - and his choice of jobs left him the a lot of free "head space" to think of art while mindlessly making a buck
Marcia said…
I like Lady P's phrase about "mindlessly making a buck". I never want a job I have to take home with me.
You have a knack for discussing the elephant in the room that everyone is ignoring. Well done! It looks like you are making good progress on your "Good Bunny/Bad cousin" piece :)
Sheree Rensel said…
Hey Jaf,
This is getting kind of weird. You wrote about wanting/not wanting to be a "famous artist". I wrote a post about "What if". Then today, I wrote about children and creativity and Deb Colter wrote about the lack of play in children's lives. I think a lot of us bloggers are channeling each other. LOL LOL

Anyway, I stopped by to give you a little present. I thought you might like these pics. Take a look:
http://www.newyorkshitty.com/?p=19216

Your friend,
Shereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
jafabrit said…
I am not sure I care about being famous but I would like to create work worthy of it. That's kind of weird synchronicity going on there with the posts :)

and thanks for the link, what a TREAT! I love that eye.
deb said…
LOL something on your blog always makes me smile and leaves a question lingering in the back of my head, but I am too relaxed to want to think of answers tonight...
jafabrit said…
cyn, I am going to mention this is my next blog entry but sigh! in a village of 3,500 where I have shown exhibits, etc, and am represented by a local gallery I just talked to someone who had no idea I was trying to have an art career (I mentioned I gave up the idea). She thought I did art for fun. I wasn't angry,as much as felt like smacking my forhead and wondering what I am doing wrong.
jafabrit said…
ps. you will go back to clay but maybe just with a different approach and viewpoint.
crpitt said…
I guess I am baffled by the fact that you are not famous already, your work always inspires and impresses me. But that doesn't play the bills sadly :(

I would go to your art school :)
jafabrit said…
thanks Claire :) I feel the need to spend more time developing my skills and just working on art.
I have had 15 mins of fame twice, and to be frank it didn't do much for me. All that counts is being able to do art.
crpitt said…
Do you mean you would go to classes yourself? Or develop by working on new stuff by yourself?

Is teaching art really a bad thing if it enables you play in your spare time?
jafabrit said…
Develop some ideas and work on skills myself.
jafabrit said…
My problem claire is that I have been trying to create in my spare time. I have been distracted with the business of art, marketing, volunteering and various other commitments.
We have things set up that I am able to stay home and still work full time on my art.
After a year I will reevaluate, but until then I am just not going to worry about the business of art.
james w said…
I think Marcia hit the nail on the head, for me anyway. My interest in electronics was entirely destroyed by a job in the industry, i've never really gone back to it like I used to. Your art always blows me away, maybe things will fall into place as you get to focus on what you really like about art, instead of the business side. Yey Jafa!
jafabrit said…
thanks james I really appreciate that, and you know as soon as I decided to hell with having a career I went mad with ideas of things I want to do. So I am excited about some ideas, but since the muses rule I have NO pressure to do them in a hurry or FOR something or have to think about whether they will be of interest to anyone or sell.
Leanne Pizio said…
Love the article! That is so right on.
And I love you are taking time off from the business of Art and just listening to the muses. You rock on with your bad self! I am cheering from the sidelines. And can't wait to see what comes out of this vacation.
Awesome bunny by the way. So rockin!
Lana Gramlich said…
I like the bunny. :)
Unfortunately I've done lots of research into the business side of art already (although I appreciate all of the links you provided in that section of this post.) The problem remains my art, in of itself, which is why I've been considering quitting the scene altogether. I think it's just a matter of getting used to the idea. I suspect I've already made up my mind...
jafabrit said…
thanks Leanne, already I have had several people comment on how happy I look these last few days. I guess this new approach is working :)

Lana, letting go takes time and it took me quite a few months of struggling to come to terms with letting go of trying to have a career (as in paying the bills kind).

Popular Posts