Cultural Differences: Hairy Mary

 Even after living in the USA over 30 years I can be taken off guard and at a dinner party last night a guest said she didn't believe me when I said Hairy Mary is a reference to furry caterpillars. I think she thought I was joking, but I told her to google it. I grew up in the UK calling any furry caterpillars a hairy mary. I thought it was cute, and since the jafagirl mannequin was dedicated to the 18th century women's rights advocate Mary Wollstonecraft and the issue of body hair I thought calling the (controversial) Mannequin Hairy Mary made sense. WELL! how would I know "some" people only know it as slang (sorry not all of us -including americans -are aware of slang terms )for a vajayjay. ugh!


So this is what you get if you google it.

It's also the name of a fishing fly 
and a commonly used for name for gardening business' and florists in the USA, vintage stores, hair salon's etc.
According to the Urban Dictionary it's any woman with an extremely hairy body, specifically the face and/or armpit. I have heard that in New Zealand they call kiwi fruit hairy mary's but can't find any evidence of that online.

Comments

Popular Posts