Cedar Grove Cemetery

Cedar Grove Cemetery at Notre Dame University

I grew up used to taking strolls  or walking through old cemetery's in England, my favourite being at Heworth church at  St.Mary's with Haddon's Tomb. So when I went to visit Notre Dame I just had to take a walk around the old cemetery. Not sure how to explain why I enjoy walking around old cemeteries, the best I can say is that I enjoy the quiet contemplation, the statuary and sometimes reading the headstones.


Did the same thing when visiting old San Juan in Perto Rico. The Santa Maria Magdalena de Pazzis Cemetery was amazing. Here is a link to a wee blog entry and video about it.

Links


Here lies the body of our Anna
Done to death by a banana
It wasn't the fruit that laid her low
But the skin of the thing that made her go


Père Lachaise Cemetery

The Merry Cemetery Rumania
 I love how each  Gravestone marker is painted and tells a little story/poem/epitaph of the person and how they died.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Well, I rather like old cemeteries, too. I'm not religious, but I like the fact that someone cared enough to mark the passing. And not always kindly!
Lynne with an e said…
I like wandering in old cemeteries, too. Perhaps a remnant of childhood memories of wandering through the one across from my grandparents house with my grandmother when I was wee.

I love that Romanian Merry Cemetery, and hadn't heard of it before.

Have you heard about the burgeoning craze of installing some sort of digital implant on headstones so passers-by can view a holographic image of the deceased speaking a message, or scenes from his/her life? Sounds like an idea lifted from Star Wars.

May the force be with you!
cynthia said…
I love visiting cemeteries! I also just finished reading Her Fearful Symmetry set at Highgate Cemetery and enjoyed it a lot.
ckw said…
love cemeteries too-i grew up on a farm in Iowa and my dad died when I was only 14-I used to ride my bike to the old country cemetery on the hill with all the great old trees and stones and just have chats with him-thanks for helping me remember-
Art said…
The Merry Cemetary is so very colorful!

I always like the old headstones--the very florid, carved ones, rather than the severe blocks of marble that people usually have now. I'll have to remember to include that in my will...

now, to less somber things...:)
Megan H Carroll said…
I was blown away by the cemeteries in Boston! It wasn't the names, but their imagined histories, I tried to figure why they had the engravings they did. Did they reflect working lives, family life, social etc..?
Colette Amelia said…
I share your sentiments on meandering amongst the dead...that link to the 16 headstones was great!

I also like the artwork on the headstones!

Popular Posts