Embroidery:Dinner Guest from Hell (parental guidance advised)


"dinner guest from hell"


I chose tea stained linen because it represents a stained tablecloth and that is certainly how I felt about the dinner that evening, stained. Stained by behaviour that I felt warranted a pecking by the crows on his little dunghill of ignorance and insults.
While I didn't personally take offense, his offensiveness was astonishing.
I can't tell you more because locals read my blog and I don't want to embarrass the hostess further.

This is slated to go to the Eclipse Gallery for the 50 Artists, 50 States, 50 Mediums
exhibit in September 12, 2009 - January 1, 2010
I used black floss, a transfer for the birds and flowers, but designed the rest myself, and a mixture of satin , stem, whip , and long & short stitches.

Not sure about the title, so if any of you have some ideas I would love to hear them.
For a wee bit entertainment, check out Dinners from Hell website.

Comments

Debrina said…
Brilliant!! I love it. You go girl!
Funnier that it's in embroidery - it's like you had to prick a prick to make this.
I like the piece! Very much! Especially with a back-story to go with it! x
jafabrit said…
Thanks Debrina, I am glad you pricked up on that ;)

I think the back story helps Likkle Girl.
Nice work! I can see the composition influence from graffiti alley. Either it is self titled or perhaps "Dinner Guest" to imply backstory. My, how pricks revel in their dunghills. ;)
jafabrit said…
Bill, how funny I didn't even think about that, but yes, I guess subconsciously it was lurking LOL! Thanks for offering some ideas :)
Sheree Rensel said…
OH MY GOSH!!! Jaf! I could just SHAKE YOU! Everything you make just twirls my world! This is an absolutely fantastic piece! As for a title, have you considered a "recipe" name. That would be a possible direction to think about. For example, some actual recipe titles are:
Cock 'n Balls
Cock-A-Leekie
Cock 'N Bull Stew

Just a thought. LOVE IT!!!
Undaunted said…
I like the title. As Bill says, it implies a back story.

I think you should add a "spouse guidance advised" message as well - I had to scroll down so that the picture wasn't in view when Scott came into the room! I don't think he would approve!

The piece is embroidered beautifully :)
Kirsten Ashley said…
The title needs some sort of phallic reference.
jafabrit said…
roflol sheree, those are tooooooo funny.

Thanks undaunted, it may be a horrid looking piece to some, but it is beautifully done, even though I say so myself LOL! Yes, my spouse has a similar sentiments.

Thanks Kirsten, I think somehow I have to weave it in with the title.
Lori Gravley said…
I love it. Crows are carrion birds, so you might play with that a bit in your title. And, well, cock begins with "caw."
Philip said…
I'm just trying to imagine what the guy said!
jafabrit said…
Phillip, sometimes it wasn't what he said but how he said it or dismissed any other viewpoint. He was in a room full of immigrants and he decides to sit and disparage immigrants and how lucky they are to live in the usa since they left their hateful countries. that was just the start of his rant.
Lana Gramlich said…
Wow...makes me wonder what the heck happened!
Lynette said…
Wow, Corinne, this is a brilliant piece of embroidery and I think you hoisted him by his own petard with this piece! :p
Cat-in-a-Box said…
I know I'm late commenting (catching up on my blogs) but I just had to let you know that I absolutely love this piece!! I don't have any artsy or social commentary, I just like it. And I always love your prose that goes with it!

Popular Posts