Reverse Painting on Lucite

I did this in 2005. Painted the skull first and then added some collage and paint. It's called "Ecstasy' and although an art critic, Jud Yalkut, at the Dayton City Paper thought it was a self portrait in his article about our Bones & Stones exhibit, it isn't. I can understand why he got that impression when you see our poster for the show.

Looking back though I wonder if he saw what I couldn't at the time. I thought I had made a painting about the risks associated with looking for joy in a pill called ecstasy. Now I look at it and see something else. A see a mind full of patterns/ colours, frenetic, full of life, and a sense of mortality. Long after I am gone I peek out. I am here. I existed, I had life, I smiled. See me, for I once walked the earth, smelled the air and tasted the sweet joys and sorrows of life.

"For a moment of night
we have a glimpse of ourselves
and our world islanded in a stream of
stars-pilgrims of mortality,
voyaging between the horizons
across the eternal seas of space and time"
Henry Beston

TAGGED
Vanessa tagged me and while I am a wee tagged out, here is a little story for new visitors.
I do like to pop bubble wrap
I am a huge Dr.Who fan


Comments

Absolutely brilliant!!
I love the skull.
Even more, I love what it represents and what hides behind and within it...
Inspired...
Heather said…
Intense. I like it.
Michael said…
Very cool art.

Take Care
Michael
inspired said…
hi pet trust your well hinney ;o]
Anonymous said…
Ohhh that's sooo kewl! I look at my older art and see new things as well. I love that, knowing that paintings may have one meaning when painted but later may mean something totally different. That just show's how meaningful painting is! I think! Anyhoo, I'm going on and on here..hehehehe wonderful post and thank you for sharing!
*HUGS*
Unknown said…
That's really cool!
Dr.John said…
I still marvel at your reverse painting.
Casey Klahn said…
We're talking about you over at my blog comments today. Your ears would be tingling...if they were there, that is.
You continue to amaze me with your eclectic art forms, Corrine. Love it.
Casey Klahn said…
Oops, those ears are right there on that skull, aren't they? Never mind that joke, then...
jafabrit said…
well casey, no wonder me ears were burning LOL!

Inspired, I'm in fine fettle today pet :) how about ye?

Do any of you find that once you see your work on your blog,you begin to see it differently (maybe a little more objectively).

wow, there is a mega storm here, better get off the puter. Hope all of you are well, thanks for dropping by.
Casey Klahn said…
Yes, my own work looks different to me the next day, then when it's framed, photographed (if it gets to be). Especially, the hanging of all of the works at once at a one man/woman show. That really speaks and you wonder: "What was that guy thinking?"
I love this. So hauntingly cool.
Lynette said…
J.B. (can I call you Corrine too :)) this is just so powerful I could feel it punch me in the middle! How do you do these, this is awesome! I feel a little strange sometimes posting my works in my blog and they do somehow look different, I don't know.
Sandra T said…
Very cool! Your art is exciting. Interesting comment re the art critic maybe seeing something you didn't see at the time of making the painting - it happens, hence one of my favourite quotes, "I am definitely hoping to be in touch with my subconscious. I expect a call any minute." (Julian Schnabel).

Popular Posts